Dr. Peter T Treadway is an independent investment strategist, money manager and author.
He is currently is principal of Historical Analytics LLC. Historical Analytics is an investment management firm dedicated to global portfolio management. Its investment approach is based on Peter’s combined top-down and bottom-up Wall Street experience as economist, strategist and securities analyst. A regular blog entitled The Dismal Optimist is produced for clients. Peter is regularly asked for comments by the financial media in the United States and Asia.
Dr Treadway is well known in the industry and is respected by many for this wisdom and insight into areas of investment, management, economics, and marketing. He is available for hire and routinely gives talks at conferences, assists with risk management and investment planning for businesses of all sizes, and has dedicated his life to helping others plan and prepare for the future.
As an author, Peter, along with contributor Professor Michael Wong, has written Investing in the Age of Sovereign Defaults, How to Preserve Your Wealth in the Coming Crisis. The book argues that modern democracies are bordering on insolvency thanks to a fatal attraction of populism. Defaults on their massive obligations, both debt and entitlements, are inevitable. Investors are going to be targets for higher taxes in this environment. Peter has also contributed several papers on Chinese stocks and the Hong Kong Stock Exchange to various books on these subjects.
Peter has also written a novel (2009), entitled A Father’s Love. The protagonist in the latter work is a hedge fund manager. The book is a thriller combining an underlying procapitalist theme with an Asian setting and an occasional spicy sexual adventure.
On the educational front, Peter has developed a special Masters level course focusing on securities analysis and discounted cash flow and incorporating elements of standard equilibrium pricing models, behavioral finance and historical trends. This course has been given as Adjunct Professor at the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics (SUFE) and the City University of Hong Kong. Shorter versions of this course have been given at occasional workshops held both in Hong Kong and Singapore.
From 1965-2000 Peter had a distinguished career on Wall Street and with major American financial institutions. For example, from 1978-81 he served as Chief Economist at Fannie Mae. From 1985-1998 he served as institutional equity analyst and Managing Director at Smith Barney following savings and loans and government sponsored entities(GSEs). He was ranked as “all-star” analyst eleven times by Institutional Investor Magazine.
Peter holds a PhD in economics from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, an MBA from New York University and a BA in English from Fordham University in New York.
Peter divides his time between Asia and the United States.
His writings are quite extensive and include many popular and well known titles:
- “Investing in the Age of Sovereign Defaults, How to Preserve Your Wealth in the Coming
- Crisis,” (with Michael C.S. Wong contributor), John Wiley & Sons, 2013.
- “Financial Systems and Risk Management”. Contributor, Hong Kong Institute of Bankers, (John Wiley, 2011)
- “The Future of Hong Kong As a Securities Market”, in The Evolving Role of Asia in Global
- Finance, edited by Yin-Wong Cheung, Vikas Kakkar and Guonan Ma. (Emerald Group Publishing, 2011)
- “The Chinese Real Estate Market, Is It an Opportunity for Short Selling?, with Dr. Michael
- Wong, in Handbook for Short Selling, Elsevier Books, 2012
- “A Father’s Love”, 2008 — Hedge fund thriller that takes place in Hong Kong
- “China Struggles to Keep Growing,” Far Eastern Economic Review, April, 2009.
- “The Dismal Optimist”, an essay produced by Peter T Treadway on a regular basis regarding investment strategy and global economic problems.